Tuesday, April 27, 2010

High maintanence?


I heard a passer by the other day make a comment about my appearance. To them I was apparently high maintanence. Which got me thinking:


Is the Vintage look really high maintanence?

guess you could say that the 'Bleached Blonde, tanned babe' is our Fashion opposite, so lets compare:

Lets start of with something small, the nails. My nails are kept filed and painted in the classic 'Dita Von Teese" half moon style. The fashion opposite would be french tips, would you agree? Both styles take time to be painted, and can be just as tricky to the unskilled hand. You can choose false nails, Either gel or acrylic. So I'd say the nails for either style are fairly even as far as labour goes. But which one looks better?

Lets move onto clothing. I think Vintage wins here. Yes I agree that sometimes things are hard to find. But what a great feeling it is when you finally come across the vintage dress or coat you have been after for ages. I think we (when I saw we, I mean us Vintage fiends) pick and choose our garments with a lot more care and thought than our modern day counter parts. Selecting items carefully to what suits us rather than buying up big on the latest fashion, only to find that it doesnt suit your shape or size and are tossing it next year to buy the next latest trend. I often see women in dreadful unflattering clothing, who have only bought it because of the brand name and that 50 million others are wearing the exact same thing. I like the idea that the dress I purchased 2 summers ago is still going to be suitable, attractive and stylish in 5 or even 10 years time and regardless how old I get it will still be appropriate for my age.

Now Lets take a look at Hair and makeup. Going darker is less stress on the hair than bleaching. You dont have to dye it as often or use toning products to stop it looking brassy and as far as styling goes, placing your hair in rollers isnt really that hard compaired to strainghtening. A set of hot roller may set you back $40-70 depending on where you buy them, however a GHD can leave you with an empty purse. Make up - The basic vintage look needs only a few basic items of course you can ellaborate on this just as you could with the 'bleached babe look'

I'm no hater of the bleach blonde looks. I've wore the look for a while and I'd have to say I get far more comments (10-1) from strangers now with the vintage look than I ever did with the bleached look. I understand that this is all an individual thing and some 'looks' are suited to some women and while they may look shocking on others. But as far as high maintanence goes I'd have to say. I work less on my 'Vintage' look than I ever did on the 'bleached' look. In the end as the old saying goes "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" BUT who works harder to get it?

But what do you think? I am intersted in your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment